Ingredients: Makes 6
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 185 g cooked mixed quinoa (mix of red and white)
- 450 g raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 90 g buckwheat flour
- Handful of fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat, then add onions and sauté for a couple of minutes; then add the minced garlic, followed by the fennel seeds.
- Continue to cook on medium heat until onions are caramelised then remove from the heat and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked quinoa, grated beetroot, buckwheat flour, dill, mustard, flax meal and salt to the bowl and combine well.
- Take a good handful of the mixture, about half a cup, in the palm of your hands and shape into a patty. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- To cook, fry the patties in a frying pan with a little oil, over a medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes on both sides.
- Serve hot with burger buns, avocado, pickled onions and if you like, spice up your vegan mayo with something like wasabi or harissa.