Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 1.2kg pumpkin (roughly), skin removed and diced into cubes (swap for butternut squash if you can’t get hold of pumpkin)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 250ml water
- 100ml double cream
- Salt & pepper
- Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the skin and seeds, and dice into 4cm chunks
- Place the pumpkin, onion, garlic, stock and water in a pot – liquid won’t quite cover all the pumpkin.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until pumpkin is tender – this should be about 10 minutes but you can check with a knife.
- Remove from the heat and use a blender to blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir through cream just before serving – leave a little to drizzle on the top.
- Top with some toasted pumpkin seeds and serve with fresh bread.